Saturday, October 22, 2005

Indian Overnight


Eagle, Srinagar, Indian-Administered Kashmir
October 20, 2005

Wild day yesterday. Left Srinagar in a microbus crammed with six passengers and a mad driver with a penchant for honking (tooting) and driving on the right hand side. (India drives on the left.) He estimated that it would take 7 or 8 hours to drive the 305km to Jammu where I would meet my train to Delhi but due to many slow-moving army convoys and protracted prayer stops it took 10 hours and I only made my train by 45 minutes.

My first Indian overnight train was a lot less posh than my experiences in Thailand but I'm told my next one tonight will be better. It will take me to somewhere near the Nepalese border where I'll sort out how to cross the border and begin exploring Nepal. My only fixed itinerary once I'm off the train is my flight out of Kathmandu on the 29th. (Hope I make it.)

Meanwhile the job hunting is not going too well...

No comments:

Post a Comment