Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Delhi Tuk-Tuk drivers


Jane and Jonah, Edmonton
June 2000


I like our Oxfam New Delhi (Regional Center) colleagues. Last night we went out to a bar in a completely-western-style shopping mall. I admit to loving the cleanliness and westernness. Then we rode auto-rickshaws ('Tuk-tuks') to the Thai Wok restaurant. Our gang required three Tuk-tuk and we were sometimes holding hands between them as we sped through the traffic.


I've asked every taxi and Tuk-tuk driver I've met whether they know India's Formula 1 Grand Prix driver Narain Karthikeyan. I thought he was supposed to be the newest hero of India - he's certainly in a lot of the ads I saw during the Belgian Grand Prix - but so far, nobody understands who I'm talking about. I shall carry on with the research. And if I see a Narain t-shirt I'll probably buy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment