Saturday, March 27, 2010

Baseball in Cuba

Children (mostly boys) play improvised baseball games everywhere. I saw one boy batting with an empty 2 litre Coke bottle.


Devotees play overlapping games all around the national Capatolio building where I was called up as a pinch-hitter in an afternoon game between two unidentified teams.





I stared down the pitcher – which was not hard – and assumed my batting stance, crouching low to shrink the strike zone to his level. He wound up and delivered what was either a changeup or simply his best fastball. I lifted my left leg and hit the ball over the infielders and set off – at which point I realized I didn’t know where the bases were. ‘Donde el baso una?’ I yelled, and an infielder pointed to a tree beside the corner of the Capatolio. I reached first safely and feeling confident took a big lead towards where geometry led me to expect another base. The next batter popped a high fly ball and I tagged up at my tree, but the fielder caught it and apparently that was the third out. I had been sent in on a clean-up role and failed. I retired as the oldest player (by about 35 or 40 years) in the league.


2 comments:

  1. WoW TOM, Lawrence of Arabia and a pro ball player too, what else do you have up your sleave?

    Hey Tom, Scott Irvine here (D.A.Moodie). I sure hope I'm going to be successful in sending this little post tonight. I tried last night with your previous post but got hung up on all the various options for delivering it. Not so computer savy here. Anyway let's see how it goes. If it doesn't go, I guess I'm just talking to myself right now. I do a lot of that anyhow so so what!

    I did try messaging you on Facebook a month or two ago but I'm assuming my letter must have just got lost somewhere in your vast electronic universe. I find you facinating and wish we could have stayed in touch as kids. I read much of your family profile and discovered some parallels I thought interesting to my own family history, not the least of which includes us having fathers from Britain who are both scientifically oriented.

    Anyway, I hope you find time to say "hi", Lawrence of Arabia was one of my early heroes and continues to intrigue my imagination. My email is: athelm@sympatico.ca and you can also find me on Facebook as Scott Irvine of Carleton Place ON, Ottawa ON.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that apparently worked !!!

    By the way Tom, my name on your followers
    list is SCOTT THE GIANT FLYING CANUCK.

    ReplyDelete