Sunday, March 9, 2008

Wikipedia entry



I'm a huge Wikipedia fan but I only recently thought I could contribute something to this wonderful resource. I was reading this article on burqas and thought it could benefit from a remark about trends in burqa use in Kabul. I contributed the underlined part of the following:

"Before the Taliban took power in Afghanistan, the chadri was infrequently worn in cities. While they were in power, the Taliban treatment of women required the wearing of a chadri in public. Officially, it is not required under the present Afghan regime, but local warlords still enforce it in southern Afghanistan. Burqa use in the remainder of Afghanistan is variable and is observed to be gradually declining in Kabul. Due to political instability in these areas, women who might not otherwise be inclined to wear the chadri must do so as matter of personal safety."

That's it. My claim to fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment