Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Scotland the Brave

I left Sri Lanka on August 20 and headed to London for a final debrief from Merlin (at which I rather spoke my mind). In London I also arranged my Afghan visa and had a wonderful dinner with friends and then a very comfortable overnight train ride on the Caladonian Sleeper to Dunkeld, Scotland.

I had a FANTASTIC (but ridiculously short) holiday in Scotland. I recommend the comfort and luxury of the Ardeonaig Hotel and Restaurant.



Ben Lawers (a Munroe and the ninth highest hill in both Scotland and the entire British Isles) across Loch Tay.




Sue at the Ardeonaig Hotel



knapweed



Killin


Sue and I visited Fortingall to gaze at a tree which is variously described as Europe's or the world's oldest living thing, dated variously at over 2,000, 3,500, or 5,000 years old. (Google it, the way I did.)



Sue and me (yes, Candace, that is the correct grammer) in front of the Fortingall Yew



The beautiful Falls of Dochart at Killin


We climbed part way up the hill behind the hotel and I discovered something I'd suspected since walking across the island of Rhum in June: In Scotland there is no law of physics that requires bogs to be level. Scottish bogs can exist quite happily on slopes of at least 45 degrees.


Fellow hill climber

We got to about 560m, hardly more than half way to Munroe level (3000'). When I bag my first Munroe, you will hear all about it. Loudly. Make no mistake about this.

Like 1.7 million other people, Sue and I also attended the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. The highlights were 'The Man Who Planted Trees' and 'Basic Training' by Kahlil Ashanti (future website here) - two wonderful (but totally different) productions.

My Scottish holiday was far too short. I was off next to see Dad in Ottawa. I'd have liked to have had more time but potential employers all seemed to want either someone else, or me 'tomorrow'. I've learned a lesson and won't allow myself to be rushed next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment