Thursday, April 1, 2010

Celebrities in Haiti

I have got a lot of time for the two most famous celebrities (apart from Bill Clinton) who have been to Log Base where I work in Haiti. Angelina Jolie seems to know how to use her celebrity contentiously and usefully although I haven’t personally heard her speak. Today I was working at the International Organization for Migration office near to Sean Penn. He was participating in a meeting about the upcoming relocation of 7,500 people from the spontaneous camp where he lives and works to newly prepared transitional camp where displaced Haitians will live for at least a couple of years. He is very knowledgeable about humanitarian issues and passionate about his work and his NGO (Jenkins-Penn Haitian Relief Organization)’s beneficiaries. He has earned the attention and respect of the other experts in the meeting.

I wanted to meet him but he was busy and I had no justification. It felt nice to have made eye contact because I think he’s doing something very real.

No comments:

Post a Comment