Wednesday, January 6, 2010

George Orwell's six rules of writing

I have discovered and I admire these rules of writing by George Orwell:

1) Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.

2) Never use a long word where a short one will do.

3) If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out. [But why didn't he say "...out, do so"?]

4) Never use the passive voice where you can use the active.

5) Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.

6) Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

- "Politics and the English Language," George Orwell

2 comments:

  1. No wonder I am such a lousy journalist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you are my favorite journalist I rush to suggest that Orwell's advice is just advice?!

    ReplyDelete