Friday, September 7, 2007

Herat

I got back yesterday from a quick trip to Herat in western Afghanistan.

The work involved meeting progressive Islamic leaders (I'm already calling them PILs) who we hope will support our project called ASPIRE, which I'll write about another day.

The rest of the time was spent visiting the remarkable Herat Mosque and the future museum. (It's all to do with who you know...)



Helicopter gunship at the Herat Museum



Colleague Hanif in the Herat Museum beside diaroma-in-progress



Herat glass blower. We were told he is the only person in Afghanistan who knows how to make the traditional blue bubbly Herat glasswhere (which I like and will buy). I suspect rather that he was the only one who knew how in that shop (while the other fellow was on tea break).



I like a lot of Islamic architecture and I really liked the Herat Mosque. While I was there the lottery for places in the next Haj was going on. Hopeful pilgrims were waiting for their name to be pulled out of the rotating drum. Herat's quota is 1,500 devotees.




Entrance to Herat Mosque. Like very many other Afghans I've met, this laddie has a [select one or more from: sister / brother / niece / nephew / aunt / uncle] in Toronto.



Herat Mosque



Herat Mosque




Herat Mosque - hopeful pilgrims monitor Haj lottery procedure.




Colleague Seraj in Herat Mosque

No comments:

Post a Comment