Monday, July 30, 2007

I am a Viking.

I have long wanted to believe that I am descended from Vikings. Despite their reputation for plundering and pillaging (and one other outdated crime) I have never met a Norwegian I didn't like and I'm also a fan of Norwegian democracy and foreign policy.

So the other day at a party I was holding I mentioned to a very interesting Norwegian woman called Marit who works for the Norwegian Refugee Council that I'd seen a map that showed that people of pure British ancestry born north of a certain line in England tend to have Viking blood. I have absolutely no known non-English ancestry and I was born in Manchester, which is satisfactorily far from any silly old Norman infusion. (While my grandmothers were both from London, my grandfathers were from Lancashire and Nottinghamshire, being of quite proper latitudes.)

Amazingly, it turned out that Marit is fully licensed to solemnize Vikingness. She has since presented me with this certificate:




The inscription reads:

Viking Certificate
This certificate is proudly given to
Tom
In honor of his Norse persona
For strength, innovation, clarity of action and dedication to a cause
Showing the Viking blood in his veins.


I intend to get a laminated wallet sized version to flash on my travels.

I'd be interested in discussing this with other Viking candidates, and particularly with other certified English Vikings. Preferably female.

By the name of Thor,

Tom the Gallant. (Name subject to official approval. I wonder if Marit has the authority?)

1 comment:

  1. The picture even looks like you! Set sail and pillage, ThorTom of the North....

    ReplyDelete