Sunday, May 20, 2007

Sri Lankan canoes and birds


I have been fascinated by Sri Lankan canoes. They are the first I've seen in my travels that have outriggers. (I believe these are common in the Pacific islands?) I'm sometimes obsessive compulsive about symmetry so I wasn't a fan at first but now I've seen them in action I'm really impressed by their stability, which of course is the point. The outrigger resists heeling towards the pontoon because it would press it underwater and it resists heeling away because it would lift its extended weight. The fishermen are generally throwing nets for prawns, which I will document once I've bought a longer lens, and for servicing fish traps.

I'm continuously updating my Sri Lankan birds page. When I get the above-mentioned lens I should be able to post better photos but please have a look now.

No comments:

Post a Comment