Saturday, April 22, 2006

Seeing Red in Edinburgh


Edinburgh
July 9, 2005


I've just posted a little vanity photo collection on www.haythornthwaite.net - shots of Edinburgh that kept popping into my viewfinder with tiny splashes of red. (Please click here.)



In the hospital last night I couldn't help correcting the Administrator's English on a memo - he'd written about staff's 'land managers' (instead of 'line managers'). This is so typical of Liberia - I think because as the second half of a word is rarely pronounced, people don't necessarily know what the rest of the word really is. I'm not always very good at tolerating this. The first time I blew up was a few months ago when someone (a law student) wrote to me about 'action points' but actually wrote 'acion poin'. The national language is 'English' and most Liberians speak nothing else (although there are local languages such as Bassa which I'm slowly learning) but it is not uncommon to need translation between 'International' English and 'Liberian' English. I shouldn't be such a snob about my English, I suppose.



Anyway, today is St. George's Day, which is not only the day for the Patron Saint of England but also the anniversary of our emigration to Canada. Thirty-six years ago Mom, Dad and I flew by BOAC Boeing 707 to Montreal and then by Air Canada DC9 to Ottawa where we were met by Dad's new boss, Andy Molozzi. Tomorrow will mark the 31st anniversary of our becoming Canadian Citizens. (Back then the wait was five years, now it's three.) Happy Canadian Anniversary, Dad!!



It is great to be able to watch Formula 1 races on TV - last year I was in Kabul where we worked on Sundays. I just watched Michael Schumacher win in Imola - quite against my predictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment